Located in eastern France’s Côte de Nuits sub-region in Burgundy’s Cote d’Or, Morey-St-Denis has often been overshadowed by its more high-profile neighbors, specifically Gevrey-Chambertin to its east and Chambolle-Musigny to its west. But its lack of aggressive PR hasn’t stopped the communefrom being home to five Grand Cru vineyards and 20 Premier Crus, with many from both classifications considered some of the finest wine that Burgundy has to offer.
Morey-St-Denis can easily trace its viniculture history as far back as the 12th century. Like many regions in Burgundy, religious communities, particularly Roman Catholic abbeys, were the first to cultivate the land in a dedicated and organized fashion. Cistercian monks were some of the earliest champions of wine-growing in this village, with control of the land eventually passing to only three families of nobility as centuries progressed. The village received its own appellation in 1936.