Clos de Vougeot
Created by Cisterian monks in the 12th century, Clos Vougeot is a wall-enclosed vineyard named for the River Vouge which separates the villages of Vougeot and Chambolle-Musigny. At 125 acres, it is the largest single vineyard in Côte de Nuits that carries the grand cru designation, and is dedicated exclusively to Pinot Noir. Since 1937, Clos Vougeot is also the appellation for red wines hailing from the area.
The top corner of this rectangular vineyard consists of a chalky, gravelly soil which lies on limestone. It is considered the best on the property due to its excellent drainage and location. The middle section presents softer limestone with both clay and gravel, providing adequate drainage. The bottom section is made up of humus-rich alluvial clay, and its drainage is the least advantageous. Its diversity does not stop here – the land is divided into 100 parcels spread across over 80 producers, making the wines from this region equally diverse in quality and character. Top Producers: Thibault Liger Belair, EugenieClos Vougeot