As part of the esteemed Montrachet family of Grand Crus located at the southern slopes of Cote de Beaune’s Montrachet hill, the small, 3.5 hectare climat of Bienvenues-Bâtard-Montrachet lies adjacent to the more famous Bâtard-Montrachet vineyards whose name it partially shares. While the tract is also dedicated to the exclusive growth of Chardonnay, the wines from this lieu-dit, or small plot of land that bears a traditional name, present a slightly different profile than those from Puligny-Montrachet’s Les Pucelles Premier Cru vineyard to its north and Bâtard-Montrachet to its south.
The expanse of land within Puligny-Montrachet where Bienvenues-Bâtard-Montrachet lies has been cultivated for wine-production since the Middle Ages. Creative and perceptive Cistercian monks, a Roman Catholic order that resided at nearby Maizière Abbey, were the first to appreciate the quality of the land with respect to viniculture, and began to plant vines with a flourish. This led to the growing recognition the region, and its wine, garnered in the 17th century, with the appellation created in 1937.