One of Burgundy’s most important producers,Maison Joseph Drouhin has expanded its influence during the last several decades by capturing vineyards in such notable areas as Chablis, the Côte de Nuits, the Côte de Beaune, and the Côte Chalonnaise. With this diverse portfolio, the Maison has been equipped to produce Pinot Noir and Chardonnay wines from village-level cuvées to upper echelon grand and premier crus. Maison Joseph Drouhin was founded in 1880 by 22-year old Joseph Drouhin, who brought the firm’s headquarters to Beaune. Years later, when his son Maurice joined him in the business, it was Maurice who was tasked with identifying and capturing new vineyards to expand the Maison’s brand. He started at the top by purchasing Beaune’s celebrated Clos des Mouches vineyard, closely followed by the Clos de Vougeot. Robert Drouhin, who in 1957 assumed leadership of the Maison, was one of the first producers in Burgundy to introduce natural options such as lutte raisonée (“the reasoned struggle”)to harmful chemicals such as pesticides and insecticides, all aimed at sparing the vines – and the wines – from negative side effects. Robert also recruited Laurence Jobard to be head winemaker, who made history by being appointed Burgundy’s first female oenologist. Today, Maison Joseph Drouhin represents close to 90 different appellations, reflecting the diversity of the Burgundian terroir. The House makes several grand cru wines in the Côte d’Or and in Chablis, including Musigny, Corton-Charlemagne and Les Clos, as well as the Marquis de Laguiche Montrachet Grand Cru. In addition, it has holdings in premier cru vineyards such as Chambolle-Musigny’s Les Amoureuses vineyard.